Cross Country Race Sunday 5 January 2020
On Sunday 5 January 2020, the CC6 Cross Country League is coming to Compton & Shawford.
The route is very similar to last year’s annual Badger Farm Race.
It’s just under 5 miles long and will include paths in and around the northwestern corner of our parish.
The race HQ and meeting area is on Whiteshute ridge at the orientation table at OS Grid Ref: SU465275.
On What3Words it’s at or near w3w.co/treetop.sharpened.note
The runners will
- Be escorted from the Race HQ and meeting point to the start, approximately halfway along the ridge
- run upwards (away from Winchester), over the Badger Farm Road footbridge,
- then down a long descent along Compton Down
- then follow an ascent onto Hurdle Way (a gravel path) back towards the grassland meadows behind Olivers Battery
- and via some narrow paths rejoin Whiteshute Ridge, and
- finish above Sainsbury’s near where they started.
What to expect
The organisers tell us:
- The race normally includes around 100 to 150 competitors between 9.30 and 10.30am.
- There will be marshalls on duty and first aiders on site.
- Competitors will be informed that they need to be mindful of other users of the public footpaths as well as cattle.
- They plan to place some notices and hazard markers around the course a few days beforehand and remove them by lunchtime on 7 January.
- They will direct competitors to the Sainsbury car park on the morning of the race, and remove all signs by the end of the day of the race.
- The aim is to have a fun race and leave no trace once completed.
The CC6 Cross Country League is a friendly low-key league, organised by the running clubs of south Hampshire for their members, providing an excellent introduction to competitive racing.
You can find details of the race here.
Parish Footpaths and Rights of Way
The Parish Paths map shows rights of way in the parish with the official path numbers, which are useful to know if you need to report a problem.
Note: This page is based on information from the race organisers and their website. We will update this page if we receive any relevant updates about the event.