Table of Contents
[Summarised from East Hampshire District Council guidance. EHDC run the service jointly with Winchester City Council.]
The weather conditions over the last two days have resulted in some areas of the Winchester district being inaccessible due the surface conditions that are unsafe for collection staff and vehicles. As a result we couldn’t finish the collections on Friday 1 February; we will collect your bins on Monday 4 February.
Catching up on the delayed collections next Monday will result in unavoidable service delays throughout week.
This is how Compton & Shawford (collection day Friday) is likely to be affected, assuming the weather does not deteriorate again.
|Revised waste collection day due to weather conditions
|Normal collection day
|Revised collection day
|Friday 1 Feb
|Monday 4 Feb
|Friday 8 Feb
|Saturday 9 Feb
Guidance about bins in cold and wet conditions
If the weather deteriorates, please continue to put out your waste on the normal collection day by 7am. When we are unable to collect your bin please leave it out and we will empty it as soon as we can, once conditions have improved. If collections are delayed you can help us resume normal collections quicker by following the simple tips below:
- Keep bin lids fully closed, this will stop snow and rain from getting in the bin and keep the contents from freezing. Our staff will shake the bins several times to release the contents, but some waste may remain stuck in extreme conditions.
- Check regularly that your bin lid is not frozen and can be opened easily.
- Try to protect open containers such a garden waste bags from filling with snow. If containers have snow and ice in them we may not be able to empty them.
- Hold back any glass bottles and jars until conditions improve, this will help to reduce the risk of bottle banks overflowing, if we are unable to empty them due to the conditions.
- Where possible, please keep areas around your bins free from snow and ice.
If bins are not emptied due to compaction or frozen contents, or if collections have not been made because they were full of snow and ice, please release frozen contents and remove the snow and ice before adding more waste. We will take additional waste on the next scheduled collection. Alternatively, if you do not want to hold waste back, you can make use of your local Household Waste and Recycling Centre, if conditions allow.
Report a missed collection
This is a joint service with Winchester City Council.
If your bin has been missed, please complete the report a missed collection(link is external) on the Winchester City Council website or call 0300 300 0013.
You must report a missed collection by 12 midday the following working day for our crew to return.
See also Winchester City Council’s Severe weather information