January 1999 PC Meeting Report

The monthly meeting of the Parish Council was held on 5 January with Mr AD Walmsley in the Chair.

Newly elected councillor

Kenneth E Staunton was welcomed by members and took his seat. Mr. Staunton was appointed to the Finance, Highways & Byways and New Pavilion subcommittees.

County Councillors’ Report.

Mrs Ann Bailey reported that the white lining on Otterbourne Road had not yet been carried out; and that lorry movements in Hiltingbury and Hocombe Roads, with a suggestion by Chandlers Ford residents for a diversion to Poles Lane and north through Compton, will be subject of a site meeting on 6 January, followed by a meeting of a HCC subcommittee on 18 January. She also reported that there is no support for a new Materials Recycling Facility at Nursling and that in any case TESCO had not sold the land to Hampshire Waste Services but to an unknown a third party. In response to questions put regarding disrepair of the tight roundabout at Poles Lane and poor lighting to the island opposite Compton Street, Mrs Bailey agreed to raise the matters with the Area Surveyor, HCC.

District Councillor’s Report.

Mrs Margaret Campbell-White reported on matters concerning the possible development of Bushfield Camp, including park-and -ride and the WCC application for for recreational use. She also reported that a traffic survey at Bushfield Roundabout is to be undertaken by WCC. Mrs Campbell-White further reported that a consultation meeting concerning the Bushfield Camp Project is to be convened by the City Council on 8 February. It was decided that two Parish Councillors attend the meeting.

Police Report.

PC Clive Barham had sent a report covering the period 1.12.98 to 5.1.99 stating that there had been only three reported crimes during this period i) walk-in theft – holdalls and clothing stolen from a room at the Malms Care Home ii) walk-in theft – coat stolen from office in grounds of Shepherds Down School iii) dwelling burglary – house in Hurdle Way unoccupied over holiday period; offender(s) disturbed by alarm being activated.

Parish Millennium Commemoration.

Following the initial meeting held in August 1998 a further meeting is to be held on 1 February at 8:30pm in the Scout Hall to work on the plans for marking the millennium in the village. Invitations are being sent to all who attended the August meeting and to all village organisations. Anyone else who is willing to help is welcome to attend.

Donation to the cost of the new school buildings, Compton.

The Council agreed to make a contribution and determine the amount at the next meeting in February.

Lease of Parish Hall and Caretakers Cottage to Compton and Shawford Community Association (CASCA).

Lease dated 1 January 1999 granted to CASCA for a term of 30 years at a rent of £l2.00 pa. CASCA will assume full responsibility for the management of the hall and its associated income and expenses from Monday 2 August 1999 by when the works should have been completed.

Refurbishment, alterations and additions to Shawford Parish Hall.

Works are scheduled to start on 15 February, at an estimated cost of £167,000.00. The works will be planned to keep one of the halls always available, and are expected to take 5½ months. The Parish Council paid the sum of £10,000.00 to CASCA as the initial instalment of a maximum contribution of £142,000.00 towards costs of the project as agreed by the Council on 2 June 1998.

New Pavilion Project.

Negotiations are still proceeding with the architect and planning department regarding amendments to the design of the approved plan. The subcommittee is due to meet with the Sports Club to finalise the terms of the new licence.

Annual Parish Meeting.

Will be held in the Parish Hall on Thursday 29 April.

Questions and Submissions from the public.

  1. The reports of the new pavilion subcommittee in the Parish Magazine were incomplete and also contain information that the questioner could not recall having been mentioned in Council.
    The New Pavilion subcommittee was asked to consider how to make up-to-date information on the project available. In the meantime of course anyone who has any questions or would like to look at the latest plans is welcome to talk to one of the Councillors.
  2. Does the Chairman have to be impartial?
    The NALC guidelines on Chairmanship state that “it is not his duty as Chairman to suppress his own convictions”.
  3. Are the Tennis Courts being used for coaching non-members from outside the parish?
    To be referred to the Tennis Club.
  4. Should there be a referendum on the new pavilion?
    The Parish Council decided unanimously that, following the results of the 1996 referendum and extensive consideration of input on the subject from the public at subsequent Parish Council meetings, no further referendum was required.

DWH Richman
Parish Clerk
15 January 1999

Note: following a question raised by a member of the public at the January meeting, the Parish Council would like to make clear that this report is a summary of the proceedings and not a verbatim record. In the interests of publishing the information in a timely manner it has not been formally reviewed by the whole council.