Hampshire Alert: Vehicle Crime at Beauty Spots
Alert message sent 07/09/2016 16:16:00
Information sent on behalf of Hampshire Constabulary
There has been a recent increase in vehicles being broken in to when parked at local beauty spots. Crimes have been reported at Old Winchester Hill, Shawford, Five Bridges Road and Farley Mount. If you are visiting rural locations, please be aware of anybody in the area when you park who may be watching to see if you leave any items in your car.
Beauty spots often attract thieves due to visitors leaving valuables in their vehicles unattended.
To try and reduce incidents in your area, consider the following.
- Try to park in sign-posted parking areas.
- Be cautious about parking your car in isolation. Thieves can be put off when other people are around.
- Do not leave anything in your vehicle. A jacket or coat left behind may be of very little value to you, but a thief may think it has been used to hide a laptop or handbag and will break into your vehicle to find out.
- Take items with you rather than locking them in the boot, you can’t be sure who has seen you.
- Before you leave home, think about what you need and leave any unnecessary items of value at home.
- Make sure you do not leave documents which have your personal details on in your vehicle.
- Do not leave your sat-nav in your vehicle and don’t forget to remove the cradle and wipe the sucker marks from your windscreen.
- Remember to shut all windows and sunroofs and lock all doors. Activate the alarm and immobiliser. Make use of any security products you might have such as steering locks.
- Whilst enjoying the sights make sure you keep your bag and possessions with you.
If you see anybody acting suspiciously call 101.
Reproduced from Hampshire Alerts;
The original article is at https://www.hampshirealert.co.uk/da/155077